Green Card policy

Driving in the EU

New Customer

If you're a new customer, then we can point you in the right direction.

Existing Customer

If you're an existing policy holder then we're here to help with anything you need.

Morton Michel

Guidance about Green Cards and driving in Europe

Green Cards

As a consequence of leaving the European Economic Area (EEA) the UK entered a transition period which is due to end on 31st December 2020. In the event there is no agreement on the future relationship between the EU and UK it is likely there will be a legal requirement to carry a physical document known as a Green Card when driving in Europe.

Planning a trip abroad

You are probably aware by now of the potential impact of Brexit if you own a UK-registered vehicle and plan to drive it in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland. We wanted to let you know that we can help you prepare for this scenario if you (or a member of your family / employee who is driving one of the vehicles covered under your insurance policy) are planning a trip in the EU.

As the timescales of producing a physical green card varies between insurers, we would always recommend you contact us as early as possible and at least 2 weeks before you travel.

What does it mean for you?

At present, your motor insurance policy allows you to drive within the EEA. This cover will not change, but motorists must now carry documentation known as a Green Card.

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card provides evidence of insurance to drive in the countries specified on the card itself. A physical Green Card is required as digital copies are not currently accepted. If motorists arrive at the border without a physical Green Card, they will not be allowed to drive in that country.

How do I get a Green Card?

Ask us! We recommend that until there is further clarity concerning any formal withdrawal agreement you should contact us before driving a vehicle abroad. This will allow us to assess your requirements and issue you with a Green Card.

It is worth noting that for the majority of clients, each trip will need a separate Green Card.

If you have fleet insurance, you will now need to obtain multiple green cards rather than relying on the previous annual blanket cover and if your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan (over 750kgs or braked) you will need separate Green Cards for these, too.

For further information regarding the new rules around Green Cards please visit the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

Should you have any questions or queries about your insurance, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0330 058 9861 or by emailing

Find out more about our motor insurance policy.

[Description of link]